Tuesday, September 13, 2011

On the briney deep

After many years of being dissatisfied with grilled chicken (rubbery, dry), I happened to pick up an old Sunset with an article about grilling chicken on the very day Tim had taken chicken out of the freezer to grill. The method required brining the chicken, so I decided to finally give it a try- after having it strongly recommended by Colin for a couple of years. So I made up some brine, using only half the salt the recipe called for, a little brown sugar, some garlic and thyme, and soaked the chicken for a couple of hours. Wow. What a difference. Moist and not rubbery. I have come out of the stone age as far as grilled chicken goes. I’d been avoiding brining because of the salt, but I’ve decided that this is one instance where I’ll say the hell with my blood pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment