Sunday, November 6, 2011

Harvest


Have spent the last few days harvesting vegetables. The nights have been down in the 20s, and they keep threatening us with snow, even down at our altitude, and we *did* learn something after last year’s epic of hacking carrots out of frozen soil. So we have a house full of buckets of potatoes, carrots, parsnips and onions. No big onions, mind you, as we never have luck getting them to make bulbs, but lots and lots of what are basically glorified green onions. I did find some radishes we’d missed; they are the size of baseballs. I left them out there as I hate to think what their texture would be like! We still have to get the kale, kohlrabi, cabbage and a little bit of broccoli in but that shouldn’t take very long. The tomatoes and peppers in the greenhouse are still producing, but it won’t be long before it gets too cold in there, too.

We also have a large box of catnip stems drying, which of course the cats won’t stay out of. They don’t seem to understand the term ‘deferred gratification’. I don’t care; less for me to pick off the stems and put away!

Now to see if I can take advantage of the return to standard time and continue to get up ‘an hour earlier’ or if I’ll follow my nocturnal pattern and slowly slide to getting up later as usual.

Oh, I made bloomers! They were supposed to be made for Steamcon, but that fell by the wayside. They’re nice for sitting around in the evening, with stripey thigh highs. They’re black cotton with white lace at the bottom of the legs. Did you expect any other combination from me?

No comments:

Post a Comment