I was actually able to get outside for a bit and do some spring cleanup; pulling weeds, cutting back things that didn't get taken care of last fall, pruning. Miles to go, but the ground is still so wet that I have to stay on the paths and only do what I can reach from there- I don't want to compact the soil in the beds. As it was, I sank down about two inches in one spot just stopping to cut some things- I was only there a couple of minutes! I hate to think what would have happened if I'd been there longer- I'd most likely have gone right down and disappeared.
Some plants are showing little green noses at ground level, and one clematis has fat buds on it. One of the primroses has color showing in its buds. Spring may actually be arriving- although I think it's going to snow again tonight.
It's officially spring. People all over are posting pictures of beautiful plants: daffodils, forsythia, hyacinths. People are posting about having eaten things from their gardens already. Us? About all we could do in that area would be melt some snow to drink.
I have succumbed to Pinterest. Spotted two contests in two days that required having a Pinterest account, so it happened. It does seem kind of useful, for collecting images, although I do that on my hard drive anyway. And it's not useful if the 'net is down.
I amazes me; I put up three boards with only a few pins on each, and they have been repinned like crazy within a couple of hours. It was like tossing a pig into a tank of piranha, I swear, the kind of frenzy that apparently surrounds this web site.
Because I didn't feel like cleaning the bathroom, I remodeled a yard sale dress into a skirt. It's rayon batik fabric, princess seamed, with buttons up the front. The bottom part fit my bottom part, but the top wouldn't button.
Also, photobomb by Silver.
Measured from the bottom and cut the top off. Getting this measured evenly turned into a nightmare, as the fabric is really stretchy- might even be cut on the bias.
The waist was now 6" too large for me. Happily, there were six seams so I took an inch in on each of them, tapering it to nothing 4" down.
I was going to put a facing at the waist, but there wasn't a big enough piece left over without crazy piecing it. So I did a narrow double turn down, and it worked fine. The top button that was left was only an inch down from the top, so all I had to do for fastening was sew a snap at the very tip top to keep it from sticking up, and I was done!
I'm pretty sure these buttons are coconut shell, to complement the tropical batik!
Another bracelet! This is tubular herringbone, like the green one a few days ago, but it alternates bugles and seed beads and I didn't put a spiral on it. The brilliant colors combined with the black makes me think of 1970 black light posters!
Warm, sunny day, so I hung the laundry out to dry for the first time
this year. I had to dance around in the snow under the clothesline, but
the clothes *almost* dried and they smell so good. There is hope for
This is the latest bracelet: my try at twisted tubular herringbone. I couldn't figure out how to make it spiral at first, hence the straight section at the end; to keep from pulling it apart to fix it I just made the other end straight tubular herringbone, too!
This necklace has the same history as the butterfly vest: I started it to wear at Steamcon I in 2009. Didn't get it done. I had no idea that branched fringe took so long to do- or used so many beads. (I came very, very close to running out of the beads that make the main branches of the fringe)
It started as a simple band of (I think) brick stitch, with the fringe put on at the same time as picots along the top edge. The band is #8 bright purple seed beads, the bugles are bright purple 4mm, the #11 seeds are reddish purple with some sort of finish on them that makes them appear different colors from different angles. And it's *heavy*
I've been making a few things, trying to create a little bit of stock before I open my Etsy store. First, another Russian spiral bracelet, this one in red, black and purple. I will have a hard time getting rid of this one, because those are *so* my colors! Actually got the clasp attachment done correctly this time.
Next, a couple of cat dolls. One is made partly with Oriental cottons, a beady fire breathing dragon, vintage button eyes, and Siamese cat coloring. The other is a celestial one similar to one I made earlier, but this one has a tail.
Today I have a blinding migraine that actually sent me back to bed (while I hurt most of the time, very little sends me back to bed) and I am creating nothing.